Murfreesboro TN Weapons Charges Attorneys Have Proven Success
Aggressive weapons charge defense team with more than 40 years experience
Under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, citizens are guaranteed the right to own firearms. Individual states may establish certain limits regarding the purchase of guns and carrying laws in that state. While Tennessee gun control laws are some of the least restrictive in the country, the penalties for violating these laws can be stiff. If you or a loved one is facing a gun possession charge, the Murfreesboro criminal defense lawyers at Dotson & Taylor Attorneys at Law fight aggressively on your behalf, bringing more than four decades of experience representing clients facing weapons charges.
What are Tennessee’s gun possession control laws?
In the state of Tennessee, a permit is not required to purchase a firearm but it is required for the concealed or open carry of handguns.
Certain weapons are considered illegal in Tennessee, including:
- Machine guns
- Short-barreled rifles or shotguns
- Explosive weapons
- Devices designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon
While there is no waiting period required for purchasing a weapon, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation conducts a background check on every firearm purchase.
Under Tennessee gun control laws, the following individuals are prohibited from owning a gun:
- An individual convicted of a felony unless pardoned or the conviction is expunged
- Fugitives from justice
- An individual deemed to be of unsound mind
- Minors (under the age of 18 years)
- Individuals addicted to alcohol
- Drug addicts
- Individuals convicted of illegally selling alcoholic beverages
Weapons violations in Tennessee bring stiff penalties
If you are convicted of a weapons violation, the penalties are harsh. Weapons violations may include:
- Possession of a weapon by a convicted felon
- Possession of a concealed weapon
- Committing a crime while using a weapon
- Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon
- Firing or shooting an object into an occupied building
- Carrying a concealed and loaded firearm in a motor vehicle
- Carrying a weapon onto an airplane
- Possession of a weapon at an airport
If convicted, punishments may include: jail or prison, fines, community service, restitution, probation or parole, a criminal record, and long-term separation from your family.
Murfreesboro weapons and gun possession charge defense lawyers are here to protect your rights, so contact us today
If you or a loved one is facing a weapons charge, this can be a frightening time. Our experienced counsel will work with you every step of the way, discussing the charges against you, explaining the punishments, researching, investigating, and aggressively fighting to present your case and protect your rights. Call the Murfreesboro criminal defense attorneys at Dotson & Taylor Attorneys at Law today at 615-890-1982 or contact us online and schedule a free consultation. We are here to help and will meet you immediately after arrest at either a police station or jail if necessary.